Thursday, January 19, 2012

Theatrical Thursdays: Amazing Grace

Last Friday we had a movie night, and I picked Amazing Grace, a movie about the abolition of the slave trade in England. I wasn't sure how it would go over with the 8/6/4 year olds, but surprisingly, they were all completely enthralled with the movie, a fairly gentle introduction to the issue of slavery, appropriate for this past Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I say fairly gentle even though #2 asked why the people died making sugar, and #3 wanted to know why the ships stank so badly. Very moving movie, I recommend it highly.



Even the preview makes me tear up. Sniff sniff.

4 comments:

  1. So why is it that ours is the only "civilized" nation in the world that needed to kill a million people to end slavery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, most of England probably wouldn't call American 'civilized' anyway:)

      Delete
  2. I would love to see this movie- what a moving preview! On my list of movies to watch!

    ReplyDelete